If you feel that the rooms in your house do not look very attractive and appealing, then wall decals would bring in a huge difference. This wall accessory gels in very well with the room color and other accessories. Wall decal is a quicker and easier way of revamping your home at a short notice. So, if you feel you are stuck to the same colored walls and would like to go for that refreshing change then opting for a wall decal would be a great and unique idea, more so because of its vast and varied color schemes which are sure to set your mood. This guide will help you accomplishing the task of making wall decals. Read on.
Complexity Level: Basic
Time Required: 3-4 hours
- Contact paper
- Left over wallpapers
- Knife and cutting board
- Glue available at any craft store
- Foam brush and small container
- Poster board (optional)
- A soft and dry cloth
- Collect the things required
- Check out at many different department stores and gather some papers, brochures etc. Or just find a portrait or sketch of a person or pet you like. This is an easier and cheaper option to work with and also comes in an assortment of colors and style.
- If you are thinking to use a photograph then use a printer or photocopier to enlarge the image.
- Gather all the other required things mentioned in the resource box.
2. Start making the design
- Take a card and make the required design on its back side or it can be printed out using an user-friendly framework.
- Use scissors to cut out the figure roughly. For this, you need to use a nice sharp knife or a cutting blade, one which is used for hobbies.
- Repeat these steps until you have all the required figures necessary to be displayed on the wall.
3. Tape your figures on the contact papers
- Place your cards cutouts onto these colored contact papers and tape them firmly.
- Cut out the shapes accordingly by scissors to make contact paper figures.
- Now, make it appealing by using different colors of contact papers to make different cutouts.
4. Renovate your wall
- Detach the contact paper from the card template.
- Remove the backing paper from the contact paper and fix the new shapes or figures on to your walls.
- Clean and dry the wall where the decal is going to be stuck.
- Stick the decal slowly rubbing from the middle to the edges. Use a clean dry cloth for this.
- If the edges are curling up, apply a little more glue on the border of the decal and smooth it down again.
- These wall stickers are easy to remove and do not peel away the paint when you remove it.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Why is a wall stickers advantageous over wall stencils?
Using a wall sticker decal instead of a wall stencil is helpful as it is a fast and effortless way to decorate your plain walls. It looks neater and is easily removable when compared to the wall stencils.
2. How big are the wall stickers?
Wall stickers can be made or are available in different shapes and sizes depending on the design you have chosen.
3. Can I use wall stickers in my bathroom area?
Yes, but the only criterion here is not to shower or allow steam to enter the room at least 3 hours before and after you apply the wall stickers.
4. How do I remove the wall decals or wall stickers?
To remove the wall decals stuck to your walls, you should slowly lift the sticker from a side and peel it downwards.
5. Can wall decals be stuck onto the glass windows?
Yes, this can be done and they look good as they can be seen from both the sides.
6. When can I add a wall decal onto my freshly painted wall?
If your wall is freshly painted then it is good to wait for about 3 weeks to allow the paint to dry completely.
- Use a ruler while making straight lines.
- Consider sketching or painting your own designs or templates on the back of your contact paper if you are good at it and put them on the walls.
- A combination of printed designs and styles would give a real cool look.
Things To Watch Out For:
- Do not separate the backing of the contact paper until you have completely finished your drawing, painting and cutting.
- A sharp blade will actually minimize any gaffes and curtail the chances of any accidental slashes.