Clogged drains in kitchens as well as bathroom is a problem which occurs very frequently and is not a pleasant thing to deal with. Many of you would not like to remove the clog and open your drains by using drain openers which are made of strong chemicals. These chemicals can do damage to some of the fixtures of the drain as they are very corrosive and have toxins that let go harmful fumes and lead to environmental pollution also.
Luckily, there are some natural substances available in your kitchen which you can use them to unclog the clogged drains before asking a plumber to do it. This is a very simple task. So, it is advisable that you try these natural home remedies before using chemical options or calling the plumber to fix the drain by removing the blockage. Read on to know how you can clear your clogged drain easily.
Complexity Level: Basic
Time Required: 30 minutes
- Baking Soda
- Boiling water
- Plunger (Prefer using the small sink size plunger)
- Put baking powder: Baking power is a very effective ingredient for cleaning a blocked drain. For this, you will require about 3/4 cup of baking powder. Take the necessary amount of baking powder from your kitchen pantry and put it down the drain.
- Put vinegar: For the next step you will require vinegar. For this, you will need 1/2 cup of vinegar. Take the necessary amount from your kitchen and pour it down the drain. Now, cover the drain with a rag or close it with a plug.
- Wait for 30 minutes: You will have to wait for approximately 30 minutes or more for the mixture to be in the drain. Keep this mixture in the drain and in the meanwhile boil water.
- Pour hot water in the drain: When the water starts boiling, take it off the heat. Now, take about a kettle of boiling water and pour the hot water in the drain.
- Build suction by a plunger: In order to stir up the material that are causing the clog in the drain, you can use a plunger. For this, it is recommended that you prefer using the small sink size plunger. You can get it easily in the market.
- If needed repeat the process: Most probably these steps will make your drain work properly. If they do not, then repeat the process again. If this also does not solve the process, call your plumber and let him clean the clogged drain.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. When only normal stuff goes down the drain, why does it still clog?
Every drain will sooner or later gets clogged. This is because even if you are very careful while washing utensils and taking bath oils, food particles, soap and other lotions go down the drain. These then build up on the inside walls of the drain pipes and cause clogging.
2. How to unclog a shower drain?
You can easily get it done by using the baking power, vinegar and hot water method. If it does not work then try opening the drain cover and inspect for blockage. If the blockage is in sight , try pulling it out. If you cannot see the blockage then use a plunger to remove it.
- As soon as you see drainage problem with your drain, pour boiling water down the drain. This will dissolve the clogs and the problem will be resolved.
- Do not wait for the drain to be completely clogged. Try boiling water or the baking powder and vinegar option in the beginning only.
- You can also use the vinegar concentrate cleaner which is accessible in mostly all food stores.
- Use a small sink size plunger.
- Pouring salt followed by hot water directly into the drain also helps at times.
Things To Watch Out For:
- If you are using some chemical to remove the clog, then do not use salt with it .
- While using commercial drain cleaners, you will have to be very careful as they contain chemicals. It is advisable to wear goggles as you would not like your eyes to be harmed if the chemical splashes back. Also, wear gloves and follow all the precautions prescribed for the usage of the product.