Cleaning carpets regularly, using the appropriate tools, ensures that their pristine state and splendor remains as it was when you bought it. A quick spot cleaning will not only increase your carpet’s life, but also maintain its original texture and color. This guide will help you in restoring your carpet’s original look without much hard work or expenditure.
Difficulty Level: Moderate
Time Required: Depending on how badly your carpet is soiled, 2 to 3 hrs should be enough.
Estimated Cost: Renting a combination of carpet cleaner, vacuum and power dryer would set you back by $ 40.
1. Vacuum cleaner
3. Carpet cleaning machine
5. Stain remover
Follow these simple steps and ensure the timeless look of your carpet:
1. The first and foremost step, after you remove every piece of furniture away from the carpet, is to vacuum it. This is an effective way of removing all the dust and dirt. It becomes even more important if your carpet has been left unattended for a long time.
2. Spray the stain remover wherever you find spots or stains, and leave it for a few minutes. This will help the stain particles loosen for easy removal by the machine. Apply the stain cleaner starting from the outside, working your way inwards so that the stain does not spread to adjoining areas.
3. The next step would involve the carpet cleaning machine. It is highly recommended that you read the manual before beginning if you are a first time user. Add the water and cleaner as per the instructions and follow all the safety guidelines before switching on the machine. Move the machine all over the carpet with a back and forth movement and not just on the stain affected area. This will ensure a more uniform cleaning and better removal of all the dirt. Further, make sure that the water you are using is clean. Keep changing it at regular intervals.
4. Now your dryer would come handy ensuring a rapid drying of the carpet. You may also use a de-humidifier for better results. You can also switch on the fan or air conditioner, which would aid the drying process.
All done, you are definitely now a happier human being, with your carpet restored to its original glory.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Should I deep clean my carpet or just vacuum cleaning would do the job?
A.This depends on the level up to which your carpet has been damaged. If it is just dusty with some minor stains, simple vacuum cleaning would be sufficient. However, for hard-to-remove stains of wine, acid or coffee among others, you need better preparation and equipment.
Q. How do I find out if my stain-cleaner is too tough on the fabric?
A. First test the stain remover on a concealed part of your carpet. If it does not react adversely with the fabric, then you are ready to go.
Q. I am using the carpet cleaning machine for the first time. Do I need to employ the services of professional cleaner?
A. Look for a machine which has a simple modus operandi. Study the manual of the machine thoroughly before using it. If even then you are not confident of your ability to handle it, then you may engage a professional to help you.
1. Vacuum the high traffic areas of carpet with more intensity. They have the maximum amount of dust and dirt particles trapped.
2. Make sure the room in which you clean the carpet is well ventilated. It will speed up the drying process.
3. Do not allow anyone to walk on the carpet until it is completely dry.
4. You can use an odorant to make your carpet smell pleasant.
Things to Watch Out for
- The stain remover should not be too harsh on the fabric. It may end up damaging the carpet permanently.
- Do not operate the machine without any prior knowledge. Don’t experiment with the settings of the carpet cleaning mahine. This may prove dangerous.