To decorate your house, you need not to be an interior decorator. Decorating your house is a very simple procedure. Your house reveals your taste in home décor and your standard of living. A well decorated house needs not to be stuffed with very expensive furniture, carpets, wall units, show pieces, wall hangings etc. Your house can be decorated with inexpensive yet classy stuff too. Well-selected curtains, cushion covers and even the paint in your house can play a very important role in adding beauty to your interiors. They should be durable and last for years, as you would not want to spend on home décor very often. The decoration of your house demonstrates your aesthetic tastes and your ability of making your house look beautiful.
Complexity Level: Moderate
Time required: 7-10 days
- Beautiful candle stands
- Scented candles
- Decorative mirrors
- Colorful curtains
- Wall hangings
- Ceramic vases
1. Choose a theme or a style of decoration:
- The first thing you need to do is to choose a style of decorating. You can choose from various styles like a contemporary style, a country style, a French décor or a French country style. A look of these various styles will easily be available online to choose from. After you choose your decoration style, you can shop to decorate your house so that your shopping matches the style.
2. Choosing a focus point in the room:
- Choose one main focus point of decoration in the room. The rest of the furniture, the wall hangings and the paint of the room should match that point. After you decorate the focus point, shop for matching furniture and lights for the room. A focus point can be a wall or any one corner of the room you would want to decorate.
3. Decide on the paints of the walls very carefully:
- The paint on the walls will give you the right look that you need for your house. The paint has to match your décor and your furniture. The right paint on the walls of the house lights up the house and makes your house look lively. You can also focus on one wall and give it a different or a darker shade to add some paintings and wall hangings.
4. Focus on the existing furniture to save cost:
- Buying furniture can cost you more than your budget. You can buy slips and covers for your existing furniture to make your furniture look different and match your newly decorated room. You can also buy cushions and new cushion covers to add to your lounge or your sofa set. Buying colorful or matching bed sheets for your bed can work wonders for your bedroom. Buying nice and matching carpets can be of great help as it will completely change the look of your room.
5. Don’t forget decorating the walls:
- You can add more life to your room by decorating the walls. Pictures, posters, wall hangings and paintings can be added to your walls. You can add photos with elegant photo frames; adding family portraits can also be an amazing idea. The wall can then be focused with focus lights, as this will light up your room and make it look beautiful.
Frequently asked questions:
1. What style can suit my house best?
You have a number of styles to choose from and can get a huge variety online. Choose a style that can cover up the maximum place in the room.
2. What color paint can make my decor look more elegant?
You can choose a paint matching your furniture or matching other decorations. The shade needs to be chosen very carefully as it can either light up your room or make it look dull.
3. Where can I shop to get the right decorative material within my budget?
You can shop online for your decorative material and get a variety of deals and options to choose from. You can also check out your local market and compare your options.
- You can use a lot of decorations like a unique candle stand with scented candles, carpets, wall hangings, photo frames, vases, water fountains and other decorative items to give an elegant look to your room. All you need to be sure of is the placement of these items.
- If you have large rooms to be decorated, you can paint them dark to get a cozy and compact feel inside. A darker shade will suit a large room perfectly. In case of a smaller room, a lighter shade will be perfect as it will make your room look spacious.
- If you use second-hand decorations, make sure that you clean them properly before you use them.
Things to watch out for:
- You need to be careful while decorating your walls as you should not overdo it. A lot of wall hangings, paintings or photo frames may make your room look messy.
- Lights need to be chosen carefully and selectively as each area needs to be lit up differently for different moods.
- Don’t forget to measure the space before you start shopping for your home decor.