Maintaining air conditioners is not exactly a professional’s job. It is, in fact, a day to day affair that can easily be performed utilizing your leisure time. Paying proper heed towards your air conditioner implies that your electricity bill is trimmed down substantially and your machine is free from any foul odor haunting your memories and disturbing your sleep. I bet, it is an art worth being mastered, if you hate calling the mechanics.
Difficulty level: Moderately easy
Time required: 8-10 hrs. Approx.
Estimated cost: 10-30 Dollars
1. Screw driver or Allen wench
2. Soft cloth
3. Chlorine bleach
4. Vac plus soap
6. Bottle brush or a piece of wire
1. Strip off the cover of the air conditioner:
The outer covering of the air conditioner needs to be opened before the filters could be accessed. Be sure to unplug the machine before removing the cover. The filter is sometimes attached to the cover itself. On other occasions, it might be fixed to the evaporator coil.
2. Wash the filter:
The next step amounts to removing the grill and mopping up the filter. You should soak the filter in luke warm water before you can rinse it. The process will be easier if you decide to use soap. Don’t deny the adequacy of water to the filter and put it under sun so that it is completely dry before you reinstall it into the machine.
3. Swab the cover and the grill situated over the coil:
Remove completely the outer case of the air conditioner and take out the grill and the cover. Clean them thoroughly. A spray of water can help you in this purpose. As you watch the water flushing out of the air conditioner, you notice that the dirt component is slowly getting reduced.
4. Vacuum the coil and the grill:
Applying vacuum to the air conditions means that the filth has no place to hide itself. Perform this action before you put the conditioner in sun.
5. Let the conditioner dry in the suns:
All the components and the just cleaned parts should be made dry before they are put back into the case.
6. Install back the components into the air conditioner: Finally, you should touch the air conditioner and make sure that it is dry enough. After being ascertained for the
Frequently asked questions:
1. How to control the foul smell or the odors like that of cigarettes coming out of the machine?
A. If there is any odor in the machine you can use the cleaning agent to clean the coil. While doing this you should be careful enough to restrict the liquid only to the coils. If the cleaning agents contact the delicate wiring or some other part, it may have a damaging effect. You can find this liquid in home supply centers
1. Don’t try to repair a motor or a compressor of the machine yourself. A professional is required for this purpose.
2. Always remember to pull out the plugs, before cleaning the air conditioner. Always be cautious to discharge the condenser (capacitor) by short circuiting its both electrodes. Failing this there is strong probability that you get a shock.
3. You should turn off your AC if you are out of the house for a long time. This will not only save your electricity bill, it will also extend the life of your air conditioner.
4. Seal all the vents or the openings around the AC to enjoy the cool air to the fullest.
Things to watch out for:
1. Always guard your AC against the cold weather and debris. Better if you take them out in the winter.
2. Don’t plug in your AC unless it is fully dry, otherwise an electric shock may be the ultimate result.