The problem of a leaky roof is very common. It can victimise any house including yours. The leaky roofs can lead to a number of problems. The most noticeable ones are that it degrades the roof structure and can even lead to damages to other household items. There are several reasons behind a leaky roof like the defective roof shingles and improper installations etc. Weather also plays an important role, especially the rain water, it is the culprit in most of the cases. Chimneys, furnaces, ice-dams, low spots in the roof, skylights, fields of shingles etc. are some of the common places where a leak generally occurs. However, there are several methods of repairing a leaking roof. Read on.
Complexity level: Moderate
Time required: 6-8 hours
- Hammers and nails.
- Metal bristled brush.
- Roofing cement.
- Flash lights
For pitched roof:
1. Locate all the sources of the leak
Do a thorough inspection of the roof by carefully strolling over every inch of the surface. Identify all the sources of the leak on the roof. You can take the help of binoculars because the leaks may be small enough to escape from the view of the naked eye.
2. Make all the gutters and drainage pipe clean
This step ensures the easy outflow of rain water and prevents water collection on the roof that leads to roof leakage.
3. Replace missing or damaged shingles
Remove the damaged shingles when been observed because the rain water gets direct access into the house through the cracks in the shingles.
4. Apply water proof outdoor silicone to prevent further leakage
The cracks that might have appeared around the chimney or vent must be filled immediately with a good quality water proof outdoor silicone to avoid further leakage. The cracks in the defective shingles can also be repaired by the silicone.
5. Provide proper overlap of shingles
Make sure that the shingles are properly overlapped on each other, otherwise, water may leak from the gaps in between the shingles. If the proper overlapping cannot be achieved then replace the defective shingle with a good one.
For flat roofs:
1. Clean the roof and the rain water pipes
Make sure that the roof is clean and there is no debris collected over it. The drainage pipes must be cleaned regularly to facilitate free flow of rain water.
2. Locate and mend all the blisters
Locate all the blisters on the roof. Once the blisters have been identified then with the help of a sharp knife penetrate it in the middle, but be careful not to damage the unaffected layers. If water is present then squeeze it out through the middle by pressing it from the edges.
3. Coat the blisters with roof cement
Then, apply a thick layer of roof cement on the blister and press it firmly so that no air is trapped in between.
4. Close the blisters
The final step is to close the blister. For this purpose roofing nails are used. Once the blisters are closed apply a layer of roof cement again in order to cover the nail heads. This additional layer gives an added advantage of the increased protection.
Frequently asked questions:
What is the most important reason behind a roof deterioration?
Moss is perhaps the most important reason behind roof deterioration. It grows with the help of the organic moisture. Its roots penetrates into the shingles and gradually cracks appear on them thereby affecting them.
- Roofing cement might harm your hands, hence, it is advisable to wear gloves while repairing the leaks.
- Sharp heeled shoes can damage the shingles therefore always wear flat soled shoes while moving on the roof.
Things to watch out for:
- Try to repair the leaks in the roof on sunny days as it will be not only easier to walk but will also be easy to locate the leaks too.
- Do not get much closer to the power lines while working on the roof.