Do you think replacing a sliding door is a difficult task? Do you think it will take lot of time? If yes, think again. Replacing a sliding door can be very easy, if you are using a good quality door. In addition, you can also complete it in a short span of time. Therefore, if you feel that the sliding doors of your house are old or you are facing a problem to open/close them, this is the right time to replace them. However, if you don’t like the idea of replacing your door, just repair it. Read the following instructions if you are doing it for the first time and if you have done this before, then take it as a reference so that you can avoid any mistakes.
Complexity Level: Moderate
Time required: 2 – 4 hours
- Measure Tape
- Small Flat Bar
1. Remove the old glass door
- Loosen and then remove the screws that are present on the top and the bottom of the sliding door. These are the same screws, which allow you to adjust the door either upwards or downwards.There are variety of sliding doors available in the market but their adjustment does not differ much.
- Pry off the wooden strips, which retain the glass.
- Remove the nails, which hold the exterior to the house.
- Remove all the dry and rotted wood around the door opening.
2. Fix the Screws :
After removing the screws, you can simply reinstall the new door, if you do not want to replace the entire frame. Otherwise, follow the next step:
- Check inside the door for screws or any nailing strips that is holding the frame. If you find any, remove them so that the sliding frame can come out easily.
3. Install the new glass door
- Install the new door in place, and put the screws back. If the door is a two-side slider, that is, if it slides from both the sides then center the bottom and screw it in place.
- After you screw it properly, bring the doors in one time at a place and adjust them to the same level.
- Check the fitting by closing and opening the door several times.
Frequently asked questions:
1. What is the cost involved in replacing the sliding glass doors?
The cost of a six-foot wide sliding glass door starts with $700 and goes up to $1200. The sliding glass door with the price tag of $700 comes with basic hardware and screen, while the upper end of glass door is $1190 which includes brass hardware and screen. If you want, you can also customize the doors by paying extra that can vary anything between $150 and $300. Apart from this, you have to pay the installation charges of around $300.
2. Where can I buy the parts of the sliding glass door?
You can find the parts from the manufacturer of the sliding door.
- Do not always look for delicate, fancy glass doors. Rather, look for strong and efficient glasses, which can also be equally attractive.
- Use a small knife or pry bar to remove the wooden strips so that it can be reused.
- Use a puller to remove the nails.
- Use a crowbar to remove the dry woods across the door opening.
Things to watch out for:
- Even after going through the instructions, if you are not sure how to replace a sliding door, hire a professional.
- Sliding door replaced in a wrong direction is almost like not having any door. So, check the direction before putting back the screws. The direction will be present there on the glass.