A yoga mat provides you protection from the hard ground while doing yoga. It is inevitable to keep your yoga mat free from sweat and oil of your body. It needs to be kept clean for sanitary as well as aesthetic reasons. Whenever you find that your hands are slipping from the mat while doing yoga or there is some unpleasant odor from the yoga mat you should clean it. Cleaning your yoga mat regularly will keep the mat soft, prevent bacterial growth and will also maximize the life of the mat. Few easy tips can help you in cleaning your yoga mat. So, here are the instructions and tips. Read on.
Complexity Level: Basic
Time Required: 15-20 minutes
- Yoga mat
- Spray bottle
- White vinegar
- Essential oils (optional)
- Liquid soap
- A tub, or outdoor hose
- A place to hang your mat
- Lemon Juice
- A friend (optional)
- Prepare the solution to wash the mat: Mix a tablespoon of detergent in a bath tub or a laundry sink filled with lukewarm water. If the mat is very dirty and is stinky, add a teaspoon of baking soda also to the mixture. Do not add a lot of detergent as it will be difficult to rinse it off.
- Apply the mixture to the mat: Mixture can be applied to the mat in 2 ways. Either by putting the mat in the solution for a minute or by applying the mixture on the mat using a kitchen sponge or a spray bottle.
- Rub the mat with the sponge: You can use your hands, soft sponge or a piece of terrycloth to rub the sides of the mat (front as well as the back side). Using water, rinse the mat till the water runs completely clear.
- Dry the mat: Let the yoga mat dry on its own, this is the most appropriate way to dry it. Never leave the mat rolled while drying so that the moisture is not trapped inside it. If you are short of space, hang it on a towel bar or a shower curtain rod.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How can I clean a Lululemon Yoga Mat?
To clean Lululemon Yoga Mat, which is also considered the best yoga mat for obvious reasons, you can mix water and detergent and spray it on the mat using a spray bottle. Then, clean the mat with a clean cloth. Wash the mat with water and air dry.
- Spray a mixture of vinegar and water on your yoga mat on regular basis. If you want you can put some essential in the mixture. This will give a pleasing aroma to the mat .
- An all natural disinfectant can be used for quick cleaning of the yoga mat.
- When not in use keep your yoga mat away from dirt and dust. This can be done by rolling the mat when not in use.
- You can use a mat-cleaning spray available in the market to clean the mat every time after use.
- If you have to roll a wet/damp mat, you can place a beach towel or a dry bath towel on top of the mat and then roll the towel between the mat.
- Always wash your feet before using the mat. This will ensure that the dirt and grim from your feet are not transferred to the mat.
Things To Watch Out For:
- Gently rub the yoga mat while washing it.
- Always avoid using others’ yoga mat as the dirt, infections etc can be transferred to you.
- Always read the manufacturer’s warnings and instructions before washing the mat.
- A damp mat should never be rolled and stored as it will cause it to mold.
- Ensure that the mat is fully dry before you use it for yoga.