Diabetes is a condition that requires constant monitoring, when a person is diagnosed with this condition, she/he automatically becomes vulnerable to various other problems. The patients themselves are at a constant risk if their sugar levels go very high or become very low. This is all the more reasons constant monitoring is a must.
With the help of various Virtual Management systems, a healthcare provider can monitor the sugar levels and vital stats of the patient and provide the necessary assistance and recommendations on the basis of the readings. Even the required insulin dosage can be recommended on the basis of the clinical notes, clinician review and automated reports that are generated.
During the experimental trials of the system It was noticed that the number of in patients whose Glucose values were ≥225 mg/dL or 12.5mmo/I/L. There was even a reduction in the hypoglycemic readings reduced by 36%.
With the help of the vGMS the glucose screening happens automatically as well as help in the patient management of diabetics. It was also noticed that out of all the patients that were admitted in the hospital, around 30% of them had hyperglycemia or diabetes.
Challenges in the home environment
When it comes to health care management at home, it becomes very challenging considering the limitations there are at home, in comparison to a professional environment. When you have to live with a chronic problem, it is just not enough to watch your diet, live a healthy life or maintain an exercise regimen.
It is also important that continuous monitoring and timely steps and preventive measures have to be taken. We all know that if the patient does not get the treatment on time, it can result in various other problems and can also result in the death of a person.
How virtual monitoring systems help chronic patients
With the help of the virtual monitoring systems and other such medical devices or systems that are installed in the houses, healthcare service providers can at least have an idea of what is going on with the patient as well as help them even if they are in a different city. The virtual monitoring system can come in handy for active and passive management and monitoring. Let us see how
Active management and monitoring
Under this, the end user participation and involvement is needed.
- It can be used for the disease management with the help of tele-health applications. This means that the families and the patient are linked to the health care provider.
- Also helps in linking communities that are web based for those patient who require home care. This means that the families and the patient is linked to the community, peers and health care providers.
- Personal records and health stats can be created and stored so that it can be accessed at the time of need. This will help in making the necessary analysis and observations and also recommend the further course of treatment.
Passive management and monitoring
These sorts of systems do not require the IT implementation operation or training by the end user.
- These are artificial intelligence applications that are standalone robotic applications which are designed to provide the necessary support that is needed when it comes to home care.
- Another example of passive management and monitoring systems would be Smart Homes where the sensors are inbuilt with various technologies and are installed in the infrastructure of the house. These sensors are spread across the house.
- The systems that are designed can help keep a track of the various problems and medical conditions that are there today. The applications and sensors that are designed are generally web based systems and can be used to store the relevant data.
There are also systems that can be used for problems like chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases, congestive heart failure, asthma and other such lung related problems.
- These systems can also be used on a daily basis to understand the overall health of not just the patient but also other family members Individual profile can be maintained to store the data that is generated on the basis of the evaluation.