Making pillow covers for home is a great idea. These covers save the fabric of pillows from daily wear and tear. Some consider it is as a waste of money but they don’t know pillow covers do add to the beauty of your bed which ultimately renders a great look to your bedroom. They have the potential of changing a dull room into an attractive room. You can design covers according to your taste and color demand of room or furniture. If you do not know how to make a pillow cover, here’s a step-by-step guide to help you in the process. Read on.
Complexity Level: Basic
Time Required: 1-2 hours
- Pillow form sewing machine
- Straight pins
- Matching thread
1. Cut the fabric and place the zipper: Firstly, measure the size of pillow and cut 2 fabric pieces according to the size. Now, place the zipper attached by pin at the center of two square pieces.
2. Sew the sides and zipper: Now, sew the two square-sized pieces around the sides and zip up to the mark. You can sew the sides by the choice of thread whether colored or plain thread. Mostly, people prefer colored thread because it makes these pillow covers look more beautiful. The zipper should be fixed by pins during the sewing from top to bottom.
3. Sew the zipper closely: This second layer of sewing on the zipper is to make zipper firmly attached to the fabric so that it may not tear on washing. Now, sew the zipper again on both sides. The zipper is the main part through which pillow can be covered so the opening should be strong besides placing it in exact position.
4. Iron the edges: Iron the seam of pillow cover by hot steamed iron in order to make the pillow cover attractive and beautiful. The ironing makes the seam visible and clear. It stretches the fabric and gives shape to the fabric.
5. Attached decoration item: On the front sides of pillow cover, you can attach a decorative item to make these pillow covers look more attractive and gaudy. The decorating item can be bought from the market and attached as per your wishes and needs.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I make Victorian pillow covers?
Making Victorian pillow covers takes back you to Victorian period. The symbols of the Victorian period were its beautiful fabrics, ornately craved furniture and velvet upholstery. For making Victorian pillow covers, you have to first choose the fabric. The Victorian pillows covers are mostly made of cotton blends or lien fabrics and these fabrics came in different beautiful patterns like floral or tile pattern. Decide the pillow form whether you require pillow covers for bedroom or living room. Decide what the type of closure you want whether you require open, button zipper or permanent seam. The type of closure is wholly dependent on your liking. Measure the length of pillows, cut and sew. For squares and rectangular pillows, cut the fabric at dimensions a little bit larger. Now, sew the fabric together and keep opening on side for pillow to enter. The type of opening depends on your liking. Iron the seams of pillow covers so that they are clear and visible. Now, your pillow cover is ready to use and you can decorate your living room or bedroom with these Victorian pillow covers.
Size of pillow cover depends on your choice. Make yardage and zipper length according to the size.
Things To Watch Out For:
The zipper of the pillow cover should be in the seam at the bottom of the design. If there is no properly defined top and bottom then place the zipper in any seam.