Home Home Improvement Guide  What to do if you discover mold in your home

 What to do if you discover mold in your home

 

It happens to the best of us. You move a piece of furniture you haven’t moved in a while, or you head down into your basement and you notice the tell-tale signs of a mold growth. Now what? Is it something to worry about?

The first thing to remember is not to panic. That being said, you can’t ignore the signs of mold, either. It does need to be taken care of, and sooner rather than later but it is not cause for immediate concern.

Mold can grow pretty much anywhere in the home, but there are several spots in the home that are the biggest culprits. Areas you should check include anywhere that is subject to moisture such as the bathroom and/or kitchen, in carpeting, around pipes and ductwork and in the basement or attic. If you do find some mold, you may wonder whether you can handle the removal of mold yourself. If the infestation is quite small, there are products on the market that you can use to remove the mold and prevent the spread of the spores. In most cases, it’s just a matter of spraying down the spot and then scrubbing with a brush or cloth.  Don’t use bleach to try to remove the mold with bleach! Because bleach’s biggest component is water, that can actually serve to spread the mold spores around. If the infestation is larger, however, it’s always best to contact a professional.

house cleaning

Once you have gotten rid of the mold in your home, there are steps you can take to lessen the chances that another growth will occur. Firstly, it’s important to bear in mind that mold spores thrive in areas that are damp and dark, which is why basements are so susceptible to mold growth. To avoid growth, it’s important to ensure that your home is well ventilated and insulated. You should also ensure that you vacuum your home frequently. This helps to remove spores from the home so they cannot spread and/or become airborne. Keep your windows and pipework free of condensation, too, as these wet areas are perfect breeding grounds for mold.

If you discover mold in your home, it can be tempting to panic and worry that your entire family is going to get sick. Although it is true that, if left untreated, mold can cause some health issues for your family such as respiratory issues, coughs and headaches, if you take the time to contact a professional, such as www.affordablewaterproofingllc.com, you can rest assured that the problem will be expertly resolved and that your family will be safe from the possible nasty side effects of mold.

As a homeowner, one of the best things you can do for your family’s health and wellbeing is to keep a handle on mold. Checking your home for the presence of mold frequently is important because the sooner you detect mold and take care of it, either by yourself or by contacting a professional, the better.

Article Submitted By Community Writer