Porch is a place where you can spend some leisure time. In past, people used to sit together on a porch and share their sense of humour and harmony. Porch is a place of social meeting. An evening tea with some snacks round a table in a porch can easily be a part of a luxurious life. Thus in order to build such an inevitable place in your house just read the steps given below. No matter how difficult it seems at the beginning, you can easily create one with ease once you are ready with the following instructions.
Complexity Level: Moderate
Time Required: 12 to 14 hours
Estimated Cost: $100 to $200
1. Paper and sketch pen for designing
2. Wood, preferably, in the size of 2X2 and 2X4
3. Screws, bolts, and nails
4. Hammer and handsaw
5. Concrete and plastic anchors
6. Concrete mix
7. Measuring tape
1. Draw a sketch: Initially it is a good idea to possess a vivid sketch of the respective porch you intend to construct. Thus try to draw an outline of the porch and maintain a true form as much as possible so that while constructing you will not face difficulties building it up. You will find the sketch quite useful as a reference while constructing your desired porch.
2. Measurements: You will require about 2X4 wooden boards for constructing your porch. Use your measuring tape for acquiring exact proportion of the wooden blocks. Mark the outlines and saw accordingly to cut the blocks out. Set the blocks down after successfully cutting out. Allow cement to dry and then proceed. You will require concrete anchors and thus use it where required.
3. Strengthening the wooden plate: Once your concrete is ready drill to make out holes for making the anchors. It is better to use an additional wooden plate above the sill plate for ensuring strength and longevity of the porch.
4. Finalizing the construction: The next step involves in putting a stud on the wall. Fasten the sill plate but make sure it is not placed permanently. Set the wooden board against the roof. Get rid of the base plates if any. Measure the distance between the upper rail and the sill plate. Carefully carve out the top rail using the handsaw and fix it using the nails.
5. Painting and staining for the finished look: Once you are satisfied with your porch, paint it using color similar to that of wood to make it look more natural and pleasing. Allow the stain to dry before placing your furniture.
Frequently asked questions:
What type of wood should I consider while constructing the porch?
You can use redwood or southern cypress wood for constructing the porch. You can prefer redwood because it is well known for its durable nature and possess a greater density. You can try using Southern Cypress wood also, which is popularly known as the bald cypress. It is indeed resistant toward insects but is not as dark as compared to that of the redwood texture. Another type of popularly used wood is the Pressure treated wood. It is manufactured with certain chemicals which make the wood insect resistant. The color of the Pressure treated wood is greenish in nature.
- Carefully place the door and the wooden frame and be cautious not to break the glass. Try some help while lifting the door to fit it at its respective place.
- Try using masks and gloves while doing the carpentry and while painting the porch after its construction. As the job requires a lot of hard work and concentration.
Things to watch out for:
Take precaution while handling stuff and opt for boots and gloves during construction.