Drawers are essential for most of the furniture needs. You can’t do without drawers in kitchens, bathrooms and even in bed rooms. Metal furniture comes with industry made metal drawers. Wooden furniture too comes with custom made drawer and there is also an option to add one by yourself. Drawers are essential part of any chest, cabinets and tables. They provide storage space for many small needs of daily use. Following is a guide on how to make your worn out wooden table useful by adding drawer to it. This will not only give a new look to your old furniture but help you organize lot of your stuff while fulfilling inadequacy of cabinets at home.
Complexity level: Moderate
Time Required: 4-8 Hours
- Plywood or any other wood of your requirement
- Wood glue
- Table Saw
- Hammer screws & nails
- Decorative frontal panel (optional)
1. Ascertain required size of the drawer
- Measure the required height, width and depth.
- Minus 1” from the height and 1” from the drawer’s specified width.
- Subtract 2-3” from the depth measurement.
2. Cut the sides of the drawer
- Once the specification is ready, take a piece of ½” plywood.
- Cut the two sides of the drawer with table saw.
- Cut it to the length of the depth measurement given in step 1.
- Rip them so they are as much as in height as the measurement given in step 1.
- Cut an additional ¼” to accommodate the base of the drawer.
3. Cut similar front and back
- Cut two similar pieces for front and back from ¾”lumber.
- The two pieces should be of same width as sides.
- If you wish to add decorative panel in the front, cut it to the same size.
4. Assemble all the pieces together
- Place the base of the drawer on the table.
- With the help of wood glue, stick all the wooden pieces at specified places.
- Once drawer has taken its shape, glue the base by pressing it properly at the edges. Let it dry.
- Now, finish with nails all around the edges.
5. Finishing touches to the drawer
- Screw the front decorative piece from behind so that nails do not disturb the look of the furniture.
- Fix the handles of the drawers at required places (center or two frontal sides).
- Now, slide the drawer in the furniture opening.
- Make the final check if the drawer is able to operate freely.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Is it possible to make these drawers at home without experience?
No harm in trying out. If you have required resources at home, you can always try your hand.
2. Can we use any other wood in place of ply?
Yes. Since ply is cheap and easily available, it suits best for illustrations.
3. What is the ideal height to fix a drawer?
Though it depends on the specification of the furniture but ideally it should be placed at average forearm’s length and down. This will be best placement for its utility.
- You can add partitions to the drawer. This will help de-clutter your stuff.
- Always wear safety glasses while working with wood.
- For designing aspect, natural look veneers can be glued to ply to add perfect finish.
- For smooth finish, you can opt to paint the drawers in color of your choice.
Things To Watch Out For:
- Never leave cutting saw and nails unattended, just to prevent injuries.
- While creating furniture, always be careful about the measurements.