Hand made gifts are always adorable, even if they do not adorn a perfect design. Making an eye pillow for yourself or for someone else can be rewarding and beneficial as well. It serves more than a pillow. You can fill your tender pillow with relaxing flax seed and aromatic herbs. This pillow can be enjoyed both as a cooling element in summer or as a mild heating element in winter. Most of the materials used to make a comforting eye pillow can be found at your home. It does not require any special skill to make an eye pillow. The usual stitching lessons should accomplish your job. Read on to learn how easily you can do the task.
Complexity Level: Basic
Time Required: 30-40 minutes
- Matching thread
- Sewing machine or needle
- Bowl for mixing fillers (optional)
1. Choose the ingredients as per your comfort and need: The fabric to make an eye pillow should essentially be soft. It must not irritate the eye skin, which is extremely tender and can be injured easily. Avoid rough textures or pop up embroidered fabric which may rub against your eyes. You may want to have satin, cotton or silk. Dark shades are preferable as they block light. There is a range of fillers to choose from. You may opt for rose, rosemary or chamomile. They are very helpful in relieving stress and can also treat your headache to give a relaxed sleep. If you want to get rid of a hangover, peppermint should be the choice. Lavender will help you ease off your sleep. The flax seed makes a soothing eye pillow. You can also have a blend of two or more fillers as per your choice.
2. Cut desired measurements: When you are ready to start, give the desired measurement to your eye pillow. You may use a fine-point marker to trace the desired pattern on the fabric. Fold the piece of fabric in half lengthwise. The right sides face together. Cut out fabric shapes. You may begin with a fabric 9 inches wide and 13 inches long. If you find it too extended, cut it short. To give a variation, you can use two different fabrics. Simply cut two rectangles of required measurement. After putting the two pieces of fabric (right side facing each other) together, stitch along closing the three sides. Leave a small 5 ½-inch side open.
3. Fill with desired filler and assemble: Use a funnel to comfortably put the filler in the opening of your eye pillow. Take care not to overfill it. The pillow should be little loose to be comfortably place on your face.
4. Stitch and complete the pillow: Stitch the open edge to completely close the eye pillow. You can do this using hand needle or the sewing machine. When using machine, be careful not to sew any of the fillers in the eye pillow. You can push the fillers to one side as you are sewing. This would not provide any obstruction while stitching.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How to make aromatherapy meditation eye pillow?
Designing your own eye pillow can be motivating and rewarding. When you equip it with the benefit of meditation like the aromatherapy, the gain enhances. Gifting one such tailor-made pillow to someone can be worth the effort. Aromatherapy meditated eye pillows are both comfortable and healthy. The essential oils, which are vital to aromatherapy, can sooth both the mind and spirit to give a lasting experience and benefit. Aromatherapy engages herbs and essential oils. Make your pillow in a manner explained above. You have to work a little with the filler. Choose the appropriate oil. Lavender may be a good choice for making meditated eye pillow. You can put dried lavender bud together with essential oil(s) to your meditation eye pillow. Mix dried lavender buds and few drops of lavender oil (depending on the strength of fragrance you want) in a bowl. Put the filler inside the eye pillow and stitch the open part completely.
- You may try different essential oils like sandalwood, chamomile, rose hips or thyme instead of lavender flowers.
- It is better to hand stitch your eye pillow instead of opting for the machine.
- Your herbal eye pillow can be used chilled for relieving headaches; alternately, it can be used warm to relax tired eyes.
Things To Watch Out For:
- Wool or linsey-woolsey can be scratchy, rough or irritating fabrics. If you are planning to gift the eye pillow to someone, ensure that the user is not allergic to the fabric you have used.