Cockroaches are really a nuisance and it gets very difficult to get rid of them. They are very nasty creatures and damage many things like wallpapers, books, furniture and clothing. It is also an embarrassment when they roam freely in our homes in front of our guests. No matter how many ways we try to clean them out of our houses, we will always find them in our homes the very next moment. It just seems so very impossible to get rid of these creatures from our homes. No matter how many insecticides, homemade products, liquids, etc. are tried and tested on them, it seems as they are present in infinite quantity. So here are some methods to get rid of these depressing roaches.
Complexity Level: Basic
Time required: 25-30 minutes
- Clove oil
- Epsom salts
- Bay leaves
- Baking soda
1. Cloves and Epsom salt work:
Take a handful of cloves and Epsom salt. Mix them in a dish and place this dish in areas where there is a sure possibility of cockroaches to arrive. These places can be behind dishwasher, refrigerator, washing machine, under kitchen sink, etc. You can also use a few drops of clove oil in corners, holes in cupboard etc. to get rid of them.
2. Cockroaches hate the smell the of bay leaves or catnip:
You can crush some bay leaves or catnip and sprinkle it in corners where you see these moving. This method is a very reliable way of getting rid of cockroaches.
3. Borax or boric powder is very effective:
You will have to sprinkle boric powder on the areas which are affected by cockroaches. But be cautious as this boric powder is toxic and it should not be sprinkled in areas which are exposed to kids.
4. Homemade organic insecticide:
- You can prepare it by mixing baking soda and sugar in equal quantities. You will then have to leave this mixture in a dish in the places you know are ridden by roaches.
- Cockroaches will consume this mixture because it is sweet. The baking soda will then start its work by upsetting roaches stomach and eventually killing them.
5. Diatomaceous is capable of getting rid of roaches:
All you have to do is to sprinkle diatomaceous around the house. The working of this diatomaceous is similar to the working of borax. It cuts the shell of cockroaches due to which they are not able to retain water, and eventually the cockroach dies of dehydration.
Frequently asked questions:
How to get rid of cockroaches in the refrigerator?
The most important thing is to keep your refrigerator clean. Clean the areas beneath and behind the refrigerator and do not let the food particles drop around anywhere. Regularly clean the pan that collects condensed water beneath the refrigerator. And please avoid keeping garbage bins near refrigerator as roaches breed in them. You can also apply a light layer of insecticide powder which mainly includes boric acid near the refrigerator.
1. Remember to keep your kitchen clean. Kitchen is a favorite place of roaches. Clean up crumbs or spilled over foods immediately.
2. Always keep your sink dry as cockroaches cannot survive without water.
3. Seal all the possible cracks in your home. A crack even as tiny as 1/5” is enough for them to enter in your home and create nuisance in your home.
4. Do not let clutter pile on in your home. Get rid of all the old newspapers, magazines, useless plastic bags etc. and try to keep your home clutter free as much as you can.
Things to watch out for:
Remember to keep your children and pets away from those toxic insecticides used to get rid of cockroaches.