The plumbing system is an integral part of a modern house and if you know how to do it yourself or at least do most of the work yourself, it will help you to save on commercials. So in this article we will be telling you about installing plumbing system in a new house so that you are well aware of the mechanisms and do not end up spending the extra money.
Things to know before installing plumbing system in a new house
- Know the timings well:
It is very important to learn when to setup which parts of the plumbing system. After all you do not want a situation where you have bring in a bathtub into your bathroom but the door is not allowing enough space and you have already constructed the walls. The best thing to do in this regard is to bring in all bigger equipments than the sink before the construction of the walls in your house.
The rough in phase of the plumbing sequence which involves laying the basic lines before the final connection also needs to be done before the hanging of the drywalls.
The sinks and toilets can be installed at the last phase of installing plumbing system in a new house.
- The water supply system: In a newly constructed building, the water supply enters at great pressure through two main lines in the house. See to it during the construction process that your lines are below the frost line. Frost line determines the depth below which the groundwater will not freeze. If the water in your pipe freezes, not only will it interrupt your water supply but also can potentially damage your pipelines because water expands in volume once it is frozen to ice which will then exert pressure on the pipes damaging them. If you are pondering over how to install, remember to never forget this point.
- Drainage system:
Pay particular attention to the drainage system of your house and make sure that the drainage is finely tuned to suit your requirements. The waste management of the house too is important. You can choose to channelize the waste into a private chamber or let it pass out with the city sewage.
- Don’t forget the Traps: This is something that you can do it yourself. Installation of these u-shaped pipes is crucial as it will prevent the foul odor emanating from the sewers entering your house. These store a little amount of water which is how it manages to keep the bad odor out.
Some important tips to remember while installing plumbing system in a new house:
- Install the water heater and the furnace in the basement:
Make sure that you follow this crucial tip while installing the plumbing setups in your house. You have a utility closet built particularly for this purpose so that you keep manage to keep the water heater and the furnace there. If however you do not harbor the plans of having a basement at all you can also have these installed at the main floor of your house.
- Have a centralized plumbing in the basement area: The basement area like we already discussed can be a handy option when it comes to installation of a centralized plumbing system. It would be foolish to assume that your setup would never require repairs. When it does, this centralized system will prove to be handy for the licensed plumber who would take up the repair work. He would have everything from water softeners, furnace, water heater, sewage connections etc. at one place. Finding the problem would be as easy as solving it.
- Have the main water shut off valve easily accessible:
This is an extremely important need to be kept in mind while installing plumbing system in a new house. There can always be a situation like a sudden leak which would require you to access this important valve with ease. In such crisis situations you surely would not want to venture into the remotest corner of your house with a flashlight. Have this valve somewhere within the living space for the simple reason of how quickly you may have to get to it in times of need.
- Install a plumbing system for a water softener: Many people overlook this need while installing plumbing system in a new house. If you live in a region where there is abundant hard water, this is a must have. Otherwise the daily activities of your house will take a huge hit. Even if you do not have hard water in your surroundings, we would still recommend that you get one of these water softeners. Firstly you have no idea how the water situation will be in 10 years. Maybe the same locality will then see a rising amount of hard water and you would be in a fix. Secondly, you may have plans later on of selling your house and many people buying one will be looking for this feature and you will get a higher resale value.
- The sump pump: You must pay attention to the sump pump while you try installing plumbing system in a new house. This basically helps the excess water drain away and keeps your basement region dry. The last thing you would want is water damage to your new house. So ensure that the sump pump is well connected such that it drains all the excess water at a distance away from your house.
We hope that by now it is fairly clear how to install the ideal plumbing system for your house. Plumbing must be perfect in your newly constructed building to make your new house the perfect home. Implement all that you learnt and you will not be disappointed with the outcomes. A fine plumbing setup awaits you in your new house.