Colors enhance beauty and make a space cheerful, and there is a lot more to it. Different colors that you pick to adorn the walls of different rooms in your homeleave a different impact on your spiritual, physical and emotional well-being.
Feng Shui believes that energy relates to color (among other things) and getting a grasp of color can be quite helpful in setting your home in tune with Feng Shui. Here are some Feng Shui color tips for every room:
Five Elements and their associated colors
- Wood: Color green symbolizes this element. Green is a symbol of innocence, purity and a beginning.
- Fire: Red and color orange signify the fire element. These colors add warmth and vigor to a space, and their overuse in a space makes the inhabitant restless. Color red is associated with power and excitement.
- Earth: Yellows and browns are the shades of the Earth element. Stability and patience are the qualities of color brown. Yellow stands for the sunshine, unity, cooperation and communication. Yellow color in rooms enables people to enhance their capacity to focus.
- Water: Blue, black and dark purple are the colors that signify water element. These colors symbolize coolness, calmness, rest, completeness and protection.
- Metal: The metal colors are silver and white. They add clarity and refine spaces.
Bedroom is supposed to be a space that is calming, so that you could rest and sleep. Therefore, bright colors such as bright reds, pinks, oranges and purples are to be avoided. According to a Feng Shui color guide, even dark colors such as black, gray, brown, navy blue and dark green are better left out. This is because too bright colors make a bedroom too active, and dark colors make it depressing. The best colors for a bedroom are earth tones and flesh tones pastels.
Dining room is a space you use to have meals with your family while conversing and enjoying each other’s company. You should use earth tones there and avoid colors from the water element such as black, navy blue, gray, dark green, and brown. Earth tones such as sage greens, pastels, light pinks and blues are ideal for dining rooms, as they promote digestion. The dark colors such as black suppresses appetite, so go for it only if you are aiming to lose weight.
Kitchen has to be a happy and an active place, which means you can paint it in bright colors and earth tones if you want. The Feng Shui explanation behind kitchen colors is that it is a space that includes fire and water elements in plenty, so the earth element is the best option because it balances both of these. So go on and fill the space with yellow, gold or any other bright color.
Anything from earth tones, whites and pastels look good in bathrooms. You can choose black or gray as accent colors, if at all you want. Otherwise, go with light shades of pink, green, white or blue. To make your bathroom dramatic and even livelier, you can combine pastels or white with some bright accents.
Using bright and energetic colors for a small entryway work wonders to make it even more welcoming. For the other rooms, such as the exercise room, it should also be bright and cheerful so that you derive energy from such colors and concentrate it in your workout.
A home has to have a good energy flow that adds to its positivity, which in turn works wonders for the inhabitants’ wellbeing. You should choose right Feng Shui colors for every room, which create harmony and balance in the entire home décor.